011 The Rescue by David Whitaker
Missing the recently departed Susan, the time travellers land on the planet Dido, where a crashed ship from Earth leads to a murder mystery.
A menacing creature known as a ‘Koquillion’ has apparently killed the entire crew, leaving only two survivors. But one of them isn’t what they seem, and the other is in need of a new family…
STORY FACTS ~
- It features the First Doctor and Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterton as the companions. Vicki Pallister joins the TARDIS as the new companion.
- This is the first time a new companion joins the TARDIS since the beginning. Maureen O’Brien is the first new regular cast member.
- Vicki is the first companion to be invited onto the TARDIS by the Doctor (except for presumedly Susan, off screen).
- Vickie was originally going to be known as Tannie, and was called this in the script for the following story. Other names considered were Valerie, Millie and Lukkie.
- Vicki, along with Polly, Mel and Ace, is one of few companions whose surname is never said on screen. Pallister is her surname in spinoff media.
- Part 2 was the first episode of Doctor Who to make it into the UK’s Top 10 Most Watched Programs.
- This is the first time they visit an alien world that the Doctor has already been to.
- This is the first story to use the word “materialises” when describing the landing of the TARDIS.
- Alternate titles for the story were The Powerful Enemy and Desperate Measures.