015 The Space Museum by Glyn Jones
Illustrated by watchcrafter
The Doctor and his companions arrive on Planet Xeros… but in a way they’re already there.
While exploring a mysterious museum, they discover their future selves on display! They discover they have shifted through time and are exploring a potencial, parallel future. In order to prevent this from happening, they must journey back and prevent the Morok invasion of the planet… but can history be changed?
STORY FACTS ~
- It features the First Doctor and Barbara Wright, Ian Chesterton and Vicki Pallister as the companions.
- This is the first story to specifically concern changing established history. Time travel is used as the premise, rather than the situation.
- This is the first story to use the word “companion” when referring to the Doctor’s travelling friends.
- The Time-Space Visualiser, a machine with the ability to view any point in history is first seen. It would later be used in The Chase, and similar monitors would appear in the TARDIS from now on.
- The story teases the viewer with an empty Dalek shell in the first part. The story ends with a cliffhanger into the next episode ‘The Chase’ which would feature the grand return of the Daleks with a slightly altered design.