031 The Highlanders by Elwyn Jones and Gerry Davis
Illustrated by fabledquill
“Sepia pen and watercolor.”
Season 4, Story 4:
The TARDIS lands in Scotland, just after the Battle of Culloden. The Doctor quickly gains the trust of a small band of fleeing Jacobites by tending to their wounds, and Polly goes to fetch water. But while she’s away there is am ambush and the Doctor and Ben face becoming slaves.
Polly is going to have to save the day this time… but another friend is soon to join the TARDIS, a young piper by the name of Jamie McCrimmon.
STORY FACTS ~
- All of this story is MISSING.
- It features the Second Doctor and companions Polly Wright and Ben Jackson. Jamie McCrimmon joins the TARDIS at the end of the story as a new companion.
- Jamie Crimmon joins the TARDIS. He is still the longest running companion in terms of episodes and the longest running male companion of all.
- This is the last ‘Pure Historical’ Doctor Who ever did. The Fifth Doctor story ‘Black Orchid’ can also be considered a Pure Historical but it is based on entirely fictional situations and is very inaccurate.
- Despite being credited and commissioned to do the script, Elwyn Jones didn’t write a single line of the script.
- Frazer Hines, who plays Jamie, was friends with Patrick Troughton off screen as well and it was decided his minor character should be come a companion due to their great onscreen chemistry.
- The story was originally going to be called Culloden.